Plan Your Visit
Open daily 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the trails are closed for Harvest Fair weekend. In the event of inclement weather, closings will mirror the Middletown Public School system.
$7 for adults
$3 for children ages 3-12
Children under 3 are free.
Members of the Sanctuary are welcome to hike our trails for free.
Visit with Your Group or Club
Groups of six or more are welcome with advanced reservations. Please submit a Special Use Permit to schedule your visit.
Commercial photography is by permit only: The breathtaking natural beauty of the Norman Bird Sanctuary provides a gorgeous backdrop for photography. In order to continue to preserve and protect the precious habitat within our wildlife refuge, we require that all photographers follow our photography policy. Learn more here.
Visit the Barn Museum! Open during regular visiting hours (9:00 – 5:00 daily)
Our 19th Century Barn highlights Rhode Island’s natural history with a variety of wildlife and ecosystem exhibits. With a historical perspective from the time of Native Americans to the present, you’ll travel through the forest, field, ridge, and beach habitats of NBS!
Bird Walks with Jay Manning
Guided bird walks are offered every other Sunday (see calendar for dates-registration not necessary; walks are free with membership, otherwise a trail fee applies). Birders meet in the parking lot and depart at 8am and return 10am. Be sure to download our Birds of the Norman Bird Sanctuary Checklist and bring your binoculars! You can also stay up to date on local migrant sightings by regularly checking our “Recent Sightings” list.
The Norman Bird Sanctuary is located at:
583 Third Beach Road
Middletown, RI 02842
Click Here for Directions
- Take 128S/93S to 24S.
- Follow 24S to Exit 1 (Newport Beaches), bear Right off the exit, and follow 138S through Portsmouth (about 7 miles).
- After RI Nurseries on the right, take a Left onto 138A (Aquidneck Ave.) at the second set of lights. There is a Bank of America at this intersection.
- Follow to first light (7-Eleven on right) and turn Left onto Green End Avenue.
- Follow to four-way stop and turn Right onto Third Beach Road.
- NBS entrance is .75 miles on the Right
- Once over the bridge, follow the signs to Fall River and Cape Cod.
- Take a Left at the end of the ramp that faces the Newport Grand Casino and proceed about 3 miles through 4 stop lights. (At the fourth stop light, there is a 7-Eleven). Continue Straight through the light.
- At the four-way stop sign, take a Right onto Third Beach Road.
- NBS entrance is .75 miles on the Right.
- Follow America’s Cup Ave. south to Memorial Blvd.
- Continue East on Memorial Blvd., past Easton’s Beach
- After the beach, bear right before the traffic light (Purgatory Rd.)
- When you see the ocean, bear Right towards Second Beach (Sachuest Rd.)
- In less than a mile, bear Left at a wooden gazebo (Hanging Rock Rd.)
Note: if your students are taking a Geology program, make sure they get to see Hanging Rock from the bus window.
- At the next stop sign, turn Left on Third Beach Rd.
- You will see the Sanctuary in less than a half mile on your Left.
Our newly renovated 18th century Paradise Farmhouse located on campus sleeps up to 16 people! CLICK HERE to learn more and book a stay!
SEARCH HERE for other lodging possibilities.
Visit DISCOVER NEWPORT for other information regarding your visit to our region.